Roblin Animal Hospital/ Red River Spay and Neuter Clinic:
Nutrition and Feeding Guidelines for Your Cat
Cats under the age of 1 years old should be on a kitten formula diet. They are design to help aid in the development of a growing kitten. It is best to try feeding kittens different flavors and shapes as they are growing so that they dont become fixated on just one. Many older cats will only eat a certain shape or flavor of food. This makes it difficult to transition them onto a veterinary diet if they every become diagnosed with an illness that can be managed by diet.
If your pet is diagnosed with certain disorders there are many diets sold exclusively at veterinary clinic to help control and slow down the progression of these diseases. These diets, however, should be recommend by your animals veterinarian.After 1 year of age your cat should be transitioned over to an adult maintenance diet.
If your cat is over weight or entering into the geriatric stage of life there are also cat food formulas designed for less active cats and geriatrics.
When it comes to cat food there is very little regualtion in the manufacturing of it. A supplier can sell a cat food in the market without ever doing any tests on it or even feeding it to a cat! Becasue of this there we often try to avoid reccomending specific foods.
Some brands that we do reccomend are the following:
- Hills, Medi-Cal/ Royal Canin, Iams
We recommend these brands because their food has gone through nutritional analysis performed by veterinarians and nutritionalist as well as extensive feeding trials. They have had testing done on them to prove they are nutritonally adequate as well as to make sure the ingredients listed on the bag are all in fact in the diet.
Roblin Animal Hospital/Red River Spay and Neuter carries many of these brands, Give us a call today to find out what the best nutritional option is for your pet!
General Nutrition Guidelines
- Loosely follow feeding guidelines on the pet food bag.
Generally, guidelines on the pet food bag are higher than what is
- Just like with human food, all cat foods have different amount of calories in them.
- To better feed your pet talk to your veterinarian to help work out how many calories a day your pet should be eating!
- Overfeeding will result in an obese pet.
- Looking at your pets body condition is the best factor in evaluating your pets weight!
- Feeding depends on the breed, how large they, how active they are, etc.
- General rule of thumb :use the lower guideline on the bag minus a bit.
- Cats who may have a history of hip dysplasia may be moved to an adult dog food sooner than other kittens.
- It is recommend to not free feed!! You can better control the amount of food your pet eats if you train them to meal feed.
- It is recommended to feed 2-3 meals a day.
- Feed good quality treats to supplement pet foods.
- People food should be kept to a minimum!
- Be careful not to switch foods on your cats to quickly as this causes tummy upsets. Take about 1 week to transition over to a new food by gradully mixing in less of the old food and more of the new food..