Tips to Stop Chewing
Prevent puppy from chewing and destroying your house and belongings by providing proper training and chew toys.
- chewing and playtime are part of normal puppy growth and development.
Puppy Chewing Do's
- Provide several of a variety of toys for your puppy.
- Teach your puppy to play with these toys.
- Praise puppy every time you see him chewing or playing with his toys on his own.
- Put out of puppy's reach anything you don't want him to chew or destroy, such as trash, shoes, hazards, etc.
- If you find your puppy with your best shoe in mouth, distract him away from it and replace the shoe with one of his toys.
- Your puppy does not know what is valuable or dangerous and what is not.
- Praise him for chewing his toy.
- Do not reprimand him for chewing your shoe - he cannot tell the difference.
Puppy Chewing Don'ts
- Do not allow unsupervised access to stuff you don’t want chewed.
- Do not chase the puppy in an attempt to take something away.
Do not reprimand excessively.
- It gets the puppy's attention without the puppy associating it with you.
- As soon as the puppy is distracted, show him what to chew and praise him for chewing it.